Re: PROBLEM: high load average when idle

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
not sure this is going to help; I mean, the load gets only updated in actual
timer interrupts... and on a tickless system there's very few of those
around..... and usually at places round_jiffies() already put a timer on.

Yeah, you're right. Although in practice, at least on a system running X, I'd expect that there still is lots of other timers going on, hiding the issue.

eh not really; on a normal distro desktop you maybe have 10 wakeups/sec or so; on a tuned one you have 2 or less.

Hmm. Maybe Anders' problem stems partly from the fact that he really is using the tweaks to make that tickless theory more true than it tends to be on most systems?

we fixed a TON of stuff over the last months.. standard desktops (F8 / next Ubuntu) will be around 10 wakeups/sec, in a lab environment you can get below 2 ;)