Re: [regression] 2.6.23 sata_mv EH updates broke my 7042 controller

Olof Johansson wrote:
On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 06:37:44PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
Olof Johansson wrote:
Hardware config in my case:
Highpoint 2310 controller
PPC (big endian)
WD Raptor disk
Works fine with the other controller I've been using (SIL24), and works
fine if I revert the driver.
It also works fine if I disable the IOMMU. This would point towards
either a stale dma mapping, or a missing setup of one.
Not being much at home in the SATA drivers I could keep digging but I
figured I'd bring it up first in case it rings a bell for someone.
The IOMMU data point is certainly interesting. Nothing jumps out on a re-review of the patch, so keep digging and let us know ;-)

Looks like it's caused by enabling vmerge (which tends to be on for the
common PPC defconfigs). If I disable it, things look OK.

Perhaps the Marvell controller doesn't like requests larger than 64K,
or wrapping some boundary. Do you have access to erratas/docs?

I have verified it on a powermac now as well (had a quick scare that it
might have been some problem with the PA Semi IOMMU, but no).

FWIW: I just tried the 6042 on my AMD64 platform with iommu=force, and was unable to reproduce any trouble.

You could try changing MV_DMA_BOUNDARY to 0xffffU and see what happens.

I'll also look through my errata, to see what is different between 6042 and 7042, if anything.

	Jeff