Re: Promise SATA300 TX4: errors, oops in ext3 code

Clemens Koller wrote:
Alexander Sabourenkov schrieb:
 > Hardware:  Athlon64, Asus A8V, Promise SATA300 TX4, 2xSeagate 7200.10
 > 320G, jumper-limited to SATA150.
 > Kernel : 2.6.22.9 amd64
 >
 > Problem:
 > Heavy load causes errors and triggers oops.

Have you checked your memory already (memtest86)?

Last run was about a year ago.

This box gets regularly updated (rebuild of all installed software),
so I'm reasonably certain that memory is ok - gcc being almost as sensitive as memtest.

Will recheck anyway.

We have several applications with Promise controllers on strange
hardware and we never had integrity problems with i.e. not so standard
SATA connections over custom vaccum-tight connectors.

Judging from linux and freebsd mailing lists, the TX4 is now quite well-known for
intermittent problems, which are hard to reproduce on different hardware.

I have two machines with those controllers, one FreeBSD-6.2 on MSI K8Neo2 motherboard (ATI chipset), and this one. FreeBSD box does not exhibit this problem under the little load it gets, but 6-STABLE and 7-CURRENT branches do have similar symptoms since around 19 April 2007,
with rare occurences (but not unheard of) before.

Thus I am unable to keep machines up to date, and before having to dump $140 worth of hardware, I'd like to try to help fix this problem or at least be certain that those controllers are indeed unusable.

 > Problems were blamed:
 >   - SATA300 being too 'hot'  (jumpered the drives)

Is this a common known problem with your harddrives or controller?
(ask google) Otherwise, it sounds like a problem with broken hardware.

This is a common problem with at least VIA onboard controllers and Seagate disks,
and I think with SATA150 controllers and speed negotiation in general.

This step was suggested in some mailing list as a general precaution, but
actually made no difference to error rate.

I did not unjumper drivers back to SATA300 so that I can easily connect the drives
to the onboard controller.

--

./lxnt