Re: MSI interrupts and disable_irq

Ayaz Abdulla wrote:
I am trying to track down a forcedeth driver issue described by bug 9047 in bugzilla (2.6.23-rc7-git1 forcedeth w/ MCP55 oops under heavy load). I added a patch to synchronize the timer handlers so that one handler doesn't accidently enable the IRQ while another timer handler is running (see attachment 'Add timer lock' in bug report) and for other processing protection.

However, the system still had an Oops. So I added a lock around the nv_rx_process_optimized() and the Oops has not happened (see attachment 'New patch for locking' in bug report). This would imply a synchronization issue. However, the only callers of that function are the IRQ handler and the timer handlers (in non-NAPI case). The timer handlers use disable_irq so that the IRQ handler does not contend with them. It looks as if disable_irq is not working properly.

This issue repros only with MSI interrupt and not legacy INTx interrupts. Any ideas?

(added linux-kernel to CC, since I think it's more of a general kernel issue)

To be brutally frank, I always thought this disable_irq() mess was a hack both ugly and fragile. This disable_irq() work that appeared in a couple net drivers was correct at the time, so I didn't feel I had the justification to reject it, but it still gave me a bad feeling.

I think the scenario you outline is an illustration of the approach's fragility: disable_irq() is a heavy hammer that originated with INTx, and it relies on a chip-specific disable method (kernel/irq/manage.c) that practically guarantees behavior will vary across MSI/INTx/etc.

Practices like forcedeth's unique locking work for a time, but it should be a warning sign any time you stray from the normal spin_lock_irqsave() method of synchronization.

Based on your report, it is certainly possible that there is a problem with MSI's desc->chip->disable() method... but I would actually recommend working around the problem by making the forcedeth locking more standardized by removing all those disable_irq() hacks.

Using spinlocks like other net drivers (note: avoid NETIF_F_LLTX drivers) has a high probability of both fixing your current problem, and giving forcedeth a more stable foundation for the long term. In my humble opinion :)

	Jeff