Re: 2.6.23-rc7 - _random_ IRQ23 : nobody cared

Paul Rolland wrote:
>> Can you change driver load order such that the driver for the modem is
>> loaded first?
>
> As I said, it's not possible, because :
>  - the modem driver is an out-kernel one, so I have to wait the end of the
>    boot process so that it can be loaded,
>  - libata on IRQ23 is the one taking care of my disks, and I suspect it
>    quite hard to install a modem driver before having the disk driver
>    installed.

You can do both by...

1. Build the modem driver into the kernel.  char drivers are linked in
before ATA ones, so it will attach first.

2. Using a custom initrd with emergency shell.  initrd is loaded by BIOS
so no driver is involved.  I don't actually know how to do this tho.

3. Put in an extra disk controller and boot from it with both drivers
compiled as module.

--
tejun