Re: A unresponsive file system can hang all I/O in the system on linux-2.6.23-rc6 (dirty_thresh problem?)

Thanks for explaining the adaptive logic.

> However other devices will at that moment try to maintain a limit of 0,
> which ends up being similar to a sync mount.
>
> So they'll not get stuck, but they will be slow.

Sync should be ok, when the situation is bad like this and some one
hijacked all the buffers.

But, I see my simple dd to write 10blocks on local disk never
completes even after 10 minutes.

[root@h46 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/x count=10

I think the process is completely stuck and is not progressing at all.

Is something going wrong in the calculations where it does not fall
back to sync mode.

Thanks
--Chakri