Re: Chroot bug

> > Which is behaviour chroot preserves properly.
> >
> And yet it is the dot-dot entry which is used to access files outside
> the root.

Read it again, and read all the words. Notably "the dot-dot entry *IN*
the root directory". When your current directory is above your root
directory you do not pass through that dot-dot entry.

> Do you believe that when those words were first written, the hidden
> conflict, namely that it permits dot-dot to access files outside the
> subtree, was understood?

Yes. You need to remember the notion of chroot for "security" is a very
new one, and not one that it was designed for. Which as I've said twice
now is why things like vserver and BSD jails have evolved.

Alan