Re: ACPI power off regression in 2.6.23-rc8 (NOT in rc7)

On 9/25/07, Alexey Starikovskiy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Torsten Kaiser wrote:
> > No, I do not have CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP set,
> > because I do not have CONFIG_PM_SLEEP set,
> > because I do not want SUSPEND and/or HIBERNATION.
> This is not the reason. SUSPEND is controlled with CONFIG_SUSPEND and
> HIBERNATION is controlled with CONFIG_HIBERNATION.
> But if you want S5 ACPI sleep state you might want to enable ACPI_SLEEP...

What I meant with SUSPEND and/or HIBERNATION was CONFIG_SUSPEND /
CONFIG_HIBERNATION.

And the relations where from Kconfig:
from drivers/acpi/Kconfig:
config ACPI_SLEEP
        bool
        depends on PM_SLEEP
        default y

-> no PM_SLEEP means no ACPI_SLEEP

from kernel/power/Kconfig:
config PM_SLEEP
        bool
        depends on SUSPEND || HIBERNATION
        default y

-> No SUSPEND and/or HIBERNATION means no PM_SLEEP

And if I select SUSPEND and/or HIBERNATION I will not only build this
feature into the kernel, but also HOTPLUG_CPU and I want to avoid
that.

It's exactly as Linus said in his mail: Not everybody wants SUSPEND...

I should have formulated that better in my mail, but that was what I
wanted to say.

Back to debugging this:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-acpi&m=119052970904643&w=4
fails to apply against 2.6.23-rc7-mm1, but moving that function by
hand was not to difficult. ;)
(With only the second patch I got a link error...)

http://marc.info/?l=linux-acpi&m=119073173625910&w=4
applied, and a test showed that my system now powers off again.

Torsten