Re: [patch 0/7] Linux Kernel Markers (redux)

* Christoph Hellwig ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 12:49:50PM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > Following Christoph Hellwig's suggestion, aiming at a Linux Kernel Markers
> > inclusion for 2.6.24, I made a simplified version of the Linux Kernel Markers.
> > There are no more dependencies on any other patchset.
> >
> > The modification only involved turning the immediate values into static
> > variables and adapting the documentation accordingly. It will have a little more
> > data cache impact when disabled than the version based on the immediate values,
> > but it is far less complex.
> >
> > Since things have not moved much in the markers area recently (most of the
> > concerns were about the immediate values), I expect it to be ready for 2.6.24.
>
> I've done a quick review and except for my usual nitpicking it looks
> very good to me.  I'll try my sputrace code with this version and will
> report on how it works.
>
> I'd really love to see markers in 2.6.24.  The impact to core code of
> the actual markers is minimal with some more struct fields in functions
> in the module code, although we'll want Mathieu's fix for the modules
> list aswell which is a little more invasive.  But I think we want that
> one anyway.

Well, since I just moved the marker iterators down in my patchset, I can
move down the module list fix altogether and keep it for later. It will
make the patchset as unintrusive as possible.

> I'd say we probably don't want the blktrace conversion that late in the
> game, though - but we can queue that once together with the optimizations
> from Mathieu's earlier patches in -mm.

I provided blktrace as a first user of the markers, but I agree that it
may be a little late for merging. I can keep it for later too.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers