Re: 2.6.22.7 default kernel configuration

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 04:41:54PM +0530, Jaswinder Singh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can please someone let me know what is criteria for default kernel
> configuration .
>
> Is it based upon some survey or requested by Fedora or others.
>
> By default configuration size of vmlinux is 41 MB and it includes
> approx 75% of useless stuff for me.
>
> what is the idea behind 'default kernel configuration'. Is it made for
> developers's PC  or for someone else.

For i386 it was in the past the .config Linus used for his PC.
There is nu deeper thoughts behind the i386 defconfig.
Other architectures try to let their defconfig cover a lot
because defconfig are often used for test-compiling
stuff (I for once use them a lot).

Other again just chose a popular config and use it for their defconfig.
So no fixed ruleset - and very depending on your architecture.

	Sam