Re: [linux-usb-devel] USB autosuspend and turning of usb pendrive leds

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, Hans de Goede wrote:

> >> Now call me naive, but I would expect a mass-storage devices with no
> >> partitions mounted to autosuspend when autosuspend is enabled for that device.
> >
> > Yes, that is naive.  The driver has no way to tell whether or not any
> > partitions are mounted.  Furthermore, you might very well want to
> > access the raw device without mounting any partitions (database
> > managers frequently do such things to reduce I/O overhead), in which
> > case you certainly would not the device to be autosuspended.
> >

> How does this relate to your "It works fine on my systems" remark, do I need to
> do anything other the unmounting the paritions to make the device eligible for
> autosuspend, like unbind the sd driver or even the usb-storage driver?

You shouldn't have to do anything.  Mounted or unmounted, bound to sd
or not bound, it shouldn't matter.  Provided the device isn't being
used, it ought to autosuspend.

I repeat: To find out what is really happening, you should use usbmon.

Alan Stern