Re: [patch 5/5] VFS: allow filesystem to override mknod capability checks

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 03:10:26PM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> Take this example: I've loopback mounted an UML disk image using fuse
> (no privileges required), and want to create some device nodes.  I
> can't yet boot the UML because the device node is missing from the
> image.  So what should I do.  Currently I have to manipulate the
> mounted image as root.  But that's really shouldn't be needed.

That's something that shouldn't be solved in the filesystem, but rather
through exact semantics of unprivilegued mounts.  Given that an
unprivilegued implies ignoring the device files we can easily allow
users to create them, because they're nothing special anymore.