Re: [patch 1/8] Immediate Values - Global Modules List and Module Mutex

* Rusty Russell ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 11:32 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > * Rusty Russell ([email protected]) wrote:
> > > Alternatively, if you called it "immediate_init" then the semantics
> > > change slightly, but are more obvious (ie. only use this when the value
> > > isn't being accessed yet).  But it can't be __init then anyway.
> > >

> > I think your idea is good. immediate_init() could be used to update the
> > immediate values at boot time _and_ at module load time, and we could
> > use an architecture specific arch_immediate_update_init() to support it.
>
> Right.
>
> > As for "when" to use this, it should be used at boot time when
> > interrupts are still disabled, still running in UP. It can also be used
> > at module load time before any of the module code is executed, as long
> > as the module code pages are writable (which they always are, for
> > now..). Therefore, the flag seems inappropriate for module load
> > arch_immediate_update_init. It cannot be put in __init section neither
> > though if we use it like this.
>
> I think from a user's POV it would be nice to have a 1:1 mapping with
> normal initialization semantics (ie. it will work as long as you don't
> access this value until initialized).  And I think this would be the
> case.  eg:
>
>         int foo_func(void)
>         {
>         	if (immediate_read(&some_immediate))
>         		return 0;
>         }
>
>         int some_init(void)
>         {
>         	immediate_init(some_immediate, 0);
>         	register_foo(foo_func);
>         }

There are other considerations that differs between the boot-time case
and the general "init" case: the write-protection flag must be
cleared-saved/restored when the kernel is running to patch read-only
text, but we don't want to modify cr0 at early boot on i386 because
paravirt is not executed yet (at boot time, pages are not
write-protected yet).

And I am not sure that it buys us anything to create an immediate_init()
when we can do exactly the same job with immediate_set. Yes, it might be
a bit slower, but we are not on a fast path.

> > > On an unrelated note, did you consider simply IPI-ing and doing the
> > > substitution with all CPUs stopped?  If you only updated the immediate
> > > references to this particular var, it should be fast enough not to upset
> > > the RT guys, even.
> > >

> > Yes, I thought about this, but since I use immediate values in the
> > kernel markers, which can be put in exception handlers (including nmi,
> > mce handler), which cannot be disabled without important side-effects, I
> > don't think trying to stop the CPUs is a workable solution.
>
> OK, but can you justify the use of immediates within the nmi or mce
> handlers?  They don't strike me as useful candidates for optimization.

Yes, immediate values are used by the Linux Kernel Markers, which
instrument many code paths, including functions called from nmi and mce
contexts (including printk).

> > > Well, you can do that in asm without gcc support.  It's a little nasty:
> > > since gcc will know nothing about the function call, it can't have side
> > > effects which are visible in this function, and you'll have to save and
> > > restore *all* regs if you decide to do the function call.  But it's
> > > possible (a 5-byte nop gets changed to a call, the call does the pushes
> > > and sets the args regs, calls the function, then pops everything and
> > > rets).
> >
> > GCC support is required if we want to embed inline functions inside
> > unlikely branches depending on immediate values (no function call
> > there). It also permits passing local variables as arguments to the
> > function call (stack setup), which would be tricky, instrumentation site
> > specific and non portable if done in assembly.
>
> Well if this is the slow path, you don't want inline anyway.  But it
> would be horribly, horribly arch-specific, yes.

Yes, doing arch specific calls without gcc support seems to be unlikely
to give us a neat portable solution.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers