Re: Wasting our Freedom

On Sep 18, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Bodo Eggert wrote:

Paul de Weerd <[email protected]> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 03:38:45PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

| It's not about lazyness of BSD developers, many people who consider the | BSD licence more free than the GPL argue that the advantage of the BSD
| licence is that it does not require you to give back.
|
| Something is wrong if your licence text clearly states that you do not | require getting anything back but you then argue on moral grounds that
| something has to be given back.

Something is wrong if your licence text clearly states that you MUST
give back, but then you don't return the favour on grounds that "hey,
they don't require it, so we don't have to".

If you may demand me to give back, why should I(*) not demand the same thing
for my contributions?

You're not only asking to contribute to your project, but you're asking me to throw my code to the feet of Apple amd Microsoft, who will user it, make big bucks and lock out alternatives as far as possible, especially free ones.
This happens to not be my idea of sharing code.

Here we go again with the "Evil Corporation". What exactly have they "lock[ed] out"? How have they magically stopped you from distributing your "free" code?

Are you somehow able to make "big bucks" on your own with the GPL that you wouldn't have otherwise been able to under the BSD? If so, please let me know. I want big bucks too!

---
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting
http://www.dixongroup.net