Re: Wasting our Freedom

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 03:06:37PM -0700, Can E. Acar wrote:
> The only remaining issue is whether Nick & Jiri have enough
> original contributions to the code to be added to the Copyright.
>
> I believe this needs to be resolved between Reyk and Nick and Jiri.
>
> The main reason of Theo's message, linked earlier, was the
> lack of response on this issue. It seems that the SFLC is
> dismissing this issue, and thus stalling its resolution by the
> developers.

OK, so all of this flaming, and digging up of "licenses ripped off",
and chaff thrown up in the air, and moaning and bewailing about
"theft", is now down to these two lines regarding Nick and Jiri:

> * Copyright (c) 2004-2007 Reyk Floeter <[email protected]>
> * Copyright (c) 2006-2007 Nick Kossifidis <[email protected]>
> * Copyright (c) 2007 Jiri Slaby <[email protected]>
> [snip rest of BSD license]

It's under a BSD license; what material difference does those two
lines make, for goodness sake?  It's under a BSD license, so it's not
like anything won't be "given back".  Whether or not they have made
enough for changes is really a question for the lawyers, and may
differ from one jurisdiction to another --- but whether or not they
have now, or maybe will not make until later --- does it really make a
difference?  Who gets hurt if someone gets they get a bit more credit
than they deserve?  Certainly the most important thing is that Reyk is
given proper credit, right?

					- Ted