Re: Wasting our Freedom

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 11:30:11AM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
> * [email protected] <[email protected]> [2007-09-17 02:29]:
> > you claim that it's unethical for the linux community to use the code, but
> > brag about NetApp useing the code. what makes NetApp ok and Linux evil?
>
> NetApp does not pretend to be free and open and save the world etc

GPL and BSD are two different philosophies of freedom.

Some people (e.g. me) consider the BSD licence a less free licence
since it doesn't defend that the code stays free.

Some people consider the BSD licence more free since NetApp or Linux or
Microsoft can take your code and never gove back.

Although I don't agree with it, I can understand the rationale of the
latter.

But stating in your licence that noone has to give back but then
complaining to some people on ethical grounds that they should give
back is simply dishonest.

Is your intention to allow people to include your code into GPL'ed code
and never give back, or is your intention that this shouldn't happen?

And whatever your intention is should be stated in your licence.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed