On thread scheduling

Consider a simple embedded system:

void interrupt_handler(void)
{
}

int main(void)
{
}

I would like to "emulate" this system with a workstation to make
development faster. I would create two threads, one executing the
main() function, and the other occasionally calling interrupt_handler().
Before interrupt_handler() is called, the main() thread should be
stopped asynchronously.

I looked into pthreads documentation and found only pthread_kill(thread,
SIGTSTP) to do asynchronous stop, but then I also have to play terminal
tricks to avoid problems..

Is there are function to just disable scheduling of a single thread
without having other side-effects (such as terminal stuff)? Functions
like pthread_disable_scheduling(thread) and
pthread_enable_scheduling(thread) would be good for this..

--
Heikki Orsila			Barbie's law:
[email protected]		"Math is hard, let's go shopping!"