Re: sata_nv issues with MCP51 SATA controller

Hi,

To eliminate the possibility of this being a hardware issue, I have now acquired another "Gigabyte GA-N650SLI-DS4" motherboard (with the "MCP51" chipset) for testing. I'll swap parts this evening. Hopefully I'll be able to tell you in a few hours whether this appears to be working as it should. The motherboard that I'm going to swap to has actually been tested (with MS Windows OS+driver) for more than a day with a disk connected, so if this MB also fails, I think it will be safe to say that the issue is with the sata_nv driver... So hang on.

(You can't think of something else that could conflict with the sata_nv driver after a bit of time, like two of my raid-disks being encrypted, me running a SW raid-5 array / some special HW (quad-core CPU) / me running vmware on this server ... ? - To me, all these suggestions seems rather far fetched, especially as all is working with another controller, so I'm arguing that unless there's a HW issue, the issue is with the driver, but you're the expert(s), so let me know if you differ.)

I'll keep you posted as to the result of swapping HW.. Give me a few hours. :-)

BR
Jon Ivar

Robert Hancock wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:
Jon Ivar Rykkelid wrote:
Hi,

I now tested with the adma=0 option, but if anything I got a crash quicker than before. Same error message started coming in, but this time the system hung before I was able to capture the log as well (but I saw the error, and it was the same as before, except that this time it was the ata3-channel that first started acting up..) - To remind you all what this is about, I have reattached the log that I originally captured...

Sounds like a hardware problem, since disabling ADMA is generally the cure-all we use -- it appears to stress the hardware less.

If this is an MCP51 chipset, adma=0 will make no difference since that chipset does not support ADMA in the first place.