Re: [announce] CFS-devel, performance improvements

On Sep 13, 2007, at 21:47:25, Rob Hussey wrote:
On 9/13/07, Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:
are you sure this is happening with the latest iteration of the patch too? (with the combo-3.patch?) You can pick it up from here:

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/cfs-scheduler/devel/sched-cfs- v2.6.23-rc6-v21-combo-3.patch

I managed to work it all out (it was my fault after all), and I've now
made the changes you suggested to my .configs for 2.6.23-rc1 and
2.6.23-rc6. I've done the benchmarks all over, including tests with
the task bound to a single core. Without further ado, the numbers I
promised:

[...]

I've made graphs like last time:
http://www.healthcarelinen.com/misc/lat_ctx_benchmark.png
http://www.healthcarelinen.com/misc/hackbench_benchmark.png
http://www.healthcarelinen.com/misc/pipe-test_benchmark.png
http://www.healthcarelinen.com/misc/BOUND_lat_ctx_benchmark.png
http://www.healthcarelinen.com/misc/BOUND_hackbench_benchmark.png
http://www.healthcarelinen.com/misc/BOUND_pipe-test_benchmark.png

Well looking at these graphs (and the fixed one from your second email), it sure looks a lot like CFS is doing at *least* as well as the old scheduler in every single test, and doing much better in most of them (in addition it's much more consistent between runs). This seems to jive with all the other benchmarks and overall empirical testing that everyone has been doing. Overall I have to say a job well done for Ingo, Peter, Con, and all the other major contributors to this impressive endeavor.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett