Re: Request for Linux Kernel Mailing List archives

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 12:38:48PM -0400, Hank Leininger wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >Bj�Steinbrink wrote:
> >>
> >>marc.info supports that.
> >>http://marc.info/[email protected]
> >Excellent!  Didn't see that documented anywhere.
>
> You're right, it's not really.  In fact very little is documented.
> You'd have to discover it -- in the message view, the Message-ID is
> actually a self-referential link using the above syntax.
>
> A few relevant points:
> - - Such links never actually show you the corresponding message.  Instead:
>   - If the message-id is unique, you are sent a 302 redirect to the
>     message using the normal MARC message URL (l=foo&msgid=123)
>   - If the message-id is not unique (such as crossposting, or deliberate
>     attempts to cause collisions) you'll be presented with a list of
>     messages, showing date, subject, author, and listname, to choose from.
> - - MARC doesn't currently touch message bodies for spam-obfuscation
>   purposes, but it does for headers, specifically From: and Message-ID:.
>   When MARC generates message-id-based links, they are obfuscated.
>   But it can read in links formed either way.  So, if you copy/paste the
>   target of a Message-ID: link out of MARC, it will look slightly
>   different than if you just made your own http://marc.info/?i=what@not,
>   but either form will work.
> - - We don't use < > surrounding the message-id, but again, will accept
>   URLs formed either way.
> - - We don't have Message-ID's for messages added before Dec, 2003.

Thanks for that usefull info.

Attached is a script containing a quick hack to enable look up of
a message-id at MARC with mutt(ng).

Posted to LKML just in case some other mutt(ng) user subscribed here
finds it useful.

Regards,

Andreas

--
Operating | AMD Saxony Limited Liability Company & Co. KG,
  System  | Wilschdorfer Landstr. 101, 01109 Dresden, Germany