Re: [-mm patch] unexport sys_{open,read}

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 11:41:18PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 00:22:03 +0200
> Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 02:59:40PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 21:39:20 +0100 Christoph Hellwig
> > > <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > Adrian knows this, yet he habitually sends zero-warning
> > > export-removal patches and I habitually ignore them.  I guess we
> > > must both enjoy this or something.
> >
> > You might rename EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL to EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL_ADRIAN
> > because AFAIK I am still the only person who was ever dumb enough to
> > use it after you wanted me to do so...
> >
> > Everyone else is allowed to always add, remove and change exports
> > as he likes, but I should go through this special process.
> >
> > It makes no sense (except for keeping me busy) to treat some patches
> > I send special while changes made by other people that break the
> > modules API are still allowed.
> >
> > Andrew, please define API rules, IOW rules for addition, removal and
> > changing of exported code, that are valid for *everyone* or go to
> > hell with your EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL.
>

> Adrian,
>
> as much as I personally disagree with Andrew's policy here (esp for
> these symbols, they have been deprecated for years now), it's trivial
> to just follow his requirements and get this over with.

Andrew wants a deprecation period for these symbols where the few users
are most likely doing something wrong when using them, but if someone
e.g. changes the IRQ API in a way that breaks most external modules no
deprecation period is required.

If the kernel should get some module API stability processes like
EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL() deprecation periods have to be made mandatory
for *all* API changes and removals.

But forcing EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL on me while allowing other people to do
bigger API changes without deprecation periods is not a policy, it's a
personal offence.

> Greetings,
>     Arjan van de Ven

cu