Re: broken ACPI NUMA config option

James C. Georgas wrote:
On Sat, 2007-08-09 at 22:00 -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
For example, you would only need to specify one "select" directive in
X86_64_ACPI_NUMA, (i.e. to turn on ACPI_NUMA). The configuration system
would then recursively walk up ACPI_NUMA's dependency hierarchy, turning
on what it needed.
That is highly desirable IMO.  Not having that is one of the things
that makes using 'select' "evil."

Have you looked at the code and given any thought to implementing this?

I'd like to take a run at it. The only issue I foresee is what to do
about multiple OR dependencies. There are some kconfig options that
depend on at least one of a set of specified dependencies. For example,
is ARCH_SPARSEMEM_ENABLE selectable if only one of NUMA || EXPERIMENTAL
is selected? So do we abort, select one, or select all dependencies?

It's a logical OR, meaning one or more of them is enabled.

I expect that there are some places that enabling all dependencies
would very much be the wrong thing to do, and choosing only one is
just a wild guess, so it looks like you would have to abort, with a
helpful message.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the usage of || here though. I'm assuming
inclusive OR.

--
~Randy