Re: sata & scsi suggestion for make menuconfig

Stefan Richter wrote:
(added Cc linux-ide)

Folkert van Heusden wrote:
A popup makes some sense, but I don't know if menuconfig knows how to
do popup warnings... and it needs to be done for all *configs,
not just menuconfig.
Maybe add a new type?
How about
comment "Note: 'SCSI disk support' is required for SATA/PATA HDDs!"
	depends on ATA && !BLK_DEV_SD
Yes! Maybe create some status-line at the bottom of the screen in which
these hints scrollby. Like powertop does.

'comment' is already supported by make {menu,x,g}config and AFAIK by
make oldconfig too.  It is not effective in make oldconfig though
because it will scroll off the screen quickly.

I am not a friend of 'select', but maybe the following actually helps.
I didn't follow all of this and previous related discussions, so I guess
somebody else suggested something like this before:

The problem with 'select' here is that it will enable BLK_DEV_SD,
but if SCSI is not enabled, it will not become enabled -- i.e.,
select does not follow the dependency chain.  So usually the
kernel will not build unless SCSI is enabled by the user.

# drivers/ata/Kconfig

config ATA
	[...]

comment "Controller drivers"

[...low-level drivers go here...]

comment "Storage device drivers"

config ATA_SD
	tristate "SATA/PATA HDD support (via SCSI disk support)"
	depends on ATA
	select BLK_DEV_SD
	help
	  'SCSI disk support' is required to access SATA HDDs.  It is
	  also necessary for parallel ATA (IDE) HDDs if you use the
	  experimental parallel ATA option.

	  You can say Y or M here to select SCSI disk support, or you
	  can do so in the 'SCSI device support' section.

[...ditto for CD/DVD-ROMs, tapes, and generic support...]

--
~Randy