Re: [RFC] Union Mount: Readdir approaches

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 01:28:55PM +0530, Bharata B Rao wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 04:31:26PM +0900, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > When the first readdir is issued:
> > - call vfs_readdir for every underlying opened dir (file) object.
> > - store every entry to either the hash table for the result or the
> >   whiteout, when the same-named entry didn't exist in the tables.
> > - to improvement the performance, the allocated memory for the hash
> >   tables are managed in a pointer array. and the elements are
> >   concatinated logically by the pointer.
> > - the pointer for the result-table, the version, and the currect jiffies
> >   are set to vdir, which is a cache in an inode.
> > - all cache are copied to a member in a file object.
> > - the index of the cache memory block and the offset in an array is
> >   handled as the seek position.
>
> Ok, interesting approach. So you define the seek behaviour on your
> directory cache rather than allowing the underlying filesystems to
> interpret the seek. I guess we can do something similar with Union
> Mounts also.

Unless I missunderstood something, Unionfs uses the same approach. Even
Unionfs's ODF branch does the same thing. The major difference is that we
keep the cache in a file on a disk.

Josef 'Jeff' Sipek.

--
Evolution, n.:
  A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable events occur with