Re: ICH Intel PATA short cable override...

Alan Cox wrote:
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:37:22 +0100
"Daniel J Blueman" <[email protected]> wrote:

We see that in ata_piix.c, there is a whitelist for (laptop) Intel ICH
controllers with short cables, tied to specific vendor subsystem IDs.
Since my mini-ITX Ibase MI910F has the subsystem IDs specified as
Intel [1], this is unusable.

I can't find another existing mechanism to add short cable
information, to allow UDMA/66 for my on-board CF socket.

DMI is the other approach (if your box has sane responses to the
dmidecode command we can do this).

No, something more flexible is needed here.

For example, I have a Mini-ITX server here, which I personally have
equipped with a 3" 40W IDE cable that connects to a notebook drive.

The system currently uses UDMA just fine with the IDE drivers,
but I have not been able to convert it to use the (stock) libata drivers
because of this silly lack of end-user control.

We really need an override for this -- embedded folks would also apprecaate one.
Ditto for selecting transfer modes.

Cheers