Re: kernel 2.6.22: what IS the VM doing?

Sami Farin wrote:
On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 12:24:26 -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
*shrug*
The attached patch should make sure kswapd does not free an
excessive number of pages in zone_normal just because the
pages in zone_highmem are difficult to free.

It does give kswapd a large margin to continue putting equal
pressure on all zones in normal situations.

Sami, could you try out this patch to see if it helps your
situation?

Thanks, Rik.  bzImage is ready, I probably reboot inside one
month for a reason or other 8-)

The more I look at the bug, the more I see that it is probably
not very easy to reproduce on demand.  I have, however, a full
explanation on why it happens and why the patch should fix it,
so I will submit it for inclusion in -mm.

Sami, thank you for the detailed bug report.

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is.  Each group