Re: tbench regression - Why process scheduler has impact on tbench and why small per-cpu slab (SLUB) cache creates the scenario?

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 23:58 -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Zhang, Yanmin wrote:

> > > You can change that by booting with slub_max_order=0. Then we can also use
> > > the per cpu queues to get these order 0 objects which may speed up the
> > > allocations because we do not have to take zone locks on slab allocation.
> > >
> > > Note also that Andrew's tree has a page allocator pass through for SLUB
> > > for 4k kmallocs bypassing slab completely. That may also address the
> > > issue.
> > >
> > > If you want SLUB to handle more objects in the 4k kmalloc cache
> > > without going to the page allocator then you can boot f.e. with
> > >
> > > slub_max_order=3 slub_min_objects=8
> > I tried this approach. The testing result showed 2.6.23-rc4 is about
> > 2.5% better than 2.6.22. It really resovles the issue.
> >
> > However, the approach treats the slabs in the same policy. Could we
> > implement a per-slab specific approach like direct b)?
>
> I am not sure what you mean by same policy. Same configuration for all
> slabs?
Yes.

> > > Try the ways to address the issue that I mentioned above.
> > I really appreciate your kind comments!
>
> Would it be possible to try the two other approaches that I suggested? I
> think both of those may also solve the issue. Try booting with
> slab_max_order=0
1) I tried slab_max_order=0 and the regression becomes 12.5%. It's still not good.

2) I apllied patch slub-direct-pass-through-of-page-size-or-higher-kmalloc.patch
to kernel 2.6.23-rc4. The new testing result is much better, only 1% less than
2.6.22.

So the best solution is booting kernel with "slub_max_order=3 slub_min_objects=8".