Re: [2/4] 2.6.23-rc4: known regressions

At Mon, 03 Sep 2007 22:23:06 +0200,
Thomas Meyer wrote:

> Takashi Iwai schrieb:
> > At Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:42:56 +0300,
> > Ivan N. Zlatev wrote:
> >
> > ... but without the hardware :-<
> >
> > IMO, this is actually no real regression.  In the earlier verison, you
> > didn't have controls for multiple outputs, thus the mixer control was
> > named as Master.  Now you do have multiple individual controls, and
> > thus there is no master any more, instead.  That's the trade-off.
> >
> Konnichiwa.
>
> Ok. Seen from this viewpoint this is no real regression. But do you have
> an idea how can i fix my setup?
>
> Currently i have these .Xmodmap key bindings:
>
> keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
> keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
> keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
>
> Some kde component while take care of the "XF86AudioLowerVolume" and
> "XF86AudioRaiseVolume" events and change the value of the "master"
> volume control.
>
> This is still happening with 2.6.23-rc5, but the master volume, stopped to be connected with the build-in speakers.
> When i connect headphones to my notebook the "MacBook-Volume-Up" and "MacBook-Volume-Down" keys still work, but they stopped to work with the build-in speaker, but will work with the headphones plugged in.
>
> The problem is, that i use the build-in speakers more often than the headphones.
> When a headphone is connected the build-in speakers go silent.
>
> And i agree with Mr. Juhl that a master volume control should control both outputs, i.e. built-in speakers and headphones.
>
> Any ideas?

The key events above are just event labels, and it's up to the desktop
system how they are interpreted.  Most desktop systems like KDE or
GNOME should have the dedicated settings.  They can be set up to
change the multiple volumes as a single action, but I'm not sure about
the details.

Alternatively, you can assign "PCM" volume, which controls usually all
digital output (in software).

Takashi