Re: [2/4] 2.6.23-rc4: known regressions

At Sun, 2 Sep 2007 14:19:37 +0200,
Jesper Juhl wrote:

> On 29/08/07, Takashi Iwai <[email protected]> wrote:
> > At Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:42:56 +0300,
> > Ivan N. Zlatev wrote:

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am not the one to handle the issue. I have just supplied the
> > > pinconfigs for the intel mac cards and assisted with logs/debug
> > > information, so I happen to be more of an end user. I am not familiar
> > > with the code base of the Intel HDA Codec. Takashi Iwai is the one
> > > with the knowledge to fix the problem.
> >
> > ... but without the hardware :-<
> >
> > IMO, this is actually no real regression.  In the earlier verison, you
> > didn't have controls for multiple outputs, thus the mixer control was
> > named as Master.  Now you do have multiple individual controls, and
> > thus there is no master any more, instead.  That's the trade-off.
> >
> Shouldn't the goal be to have both?  Multiple individual controls as
> well as a Master that adjusts them all.  That would also solve Thomas'
> problem.

Yes, that'll be the best solution.

The fact that both volumes were controlled with a single control on
2.6.22 was a pure luck (or a side-effect).  It wasn't intended
behavior.  Originally, the driver code is written to control the
volumes of HP and speaker streams separately.  This isn't changed
between 2.6.22 and 2.6.23.

The missing feature (the real Main volume) will be implemented on
2.6.24.  (Not for all codecs, but most of them, I hope.)

Takashi