Re: ramdisk

Xu Yang wrote:
thanks for the reply.

no , it is not decompressed. isn' t the kernel supposed to do that? As
we have tried to load this filesystem on the pc, it turns out the the
kernel can recognize it.

concerning the root=/dev/ram0,
as the default value is root=/dev/nfs, so I just modify the nfs to
ram0. is this might be a problem?

Hopefully someone who works with this regularly can provide some answers, the only time I used booting into a RAM-only system the tools which I had "just worked" and I followed the steps outlined without fully understanding the details. However, I just tried loop mounting a compressed filesystem and that didn't work, while decompressing into a ramdisk and mounting worked fine. That's why I asked if your tool was just copying to RAM without decompression, since I have no ides what tool you use.

As for the name, your original post used "dev" without a leading "/" and while I assumed it was a typo, I thought it was worth mentioning since you were looking for suggestions. I would expect /dev/ram0 to be correct.

I would try the decompressed image next, and I have no other ideas at the moment.
regards,