Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.5.3

Sean wrote:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 10:57:03 +0100
"H. Peter Anvin" <[email protected]> wrote:

From the looks of it, there is still a git-p4, it just moved to contrib and uses fast-import, so removing its rpm package was probably broken in the first place.

Hi Peter,

Items in contrib aren't officially supported, so it doesn't sound like
a good idea to offer installs for them.  Of course, it might be a good
idea to promote git-p4 up out of contrib and add it to the spec file.

Well, the old one was out of contrib, too. Maybe it should never have been packaged up, but it was...

As things stand now, do you get an error when trying to upgrade Git via
yum?   I'd have thought things would upgrade fine but leave the old git-p4
rpm hanging around.  Either way, the obsoletes line mentioned by David
sounds like the right solution.

Yes, it gets an error, because all the git RPMs are tied together by explicit version number and so can only be upgraded as a group.

As an aside, when I sent the patch removing git-p4import from the spec
file I mentioned that I had no way to test it and asked for testers.
Git needs a spec file maintainer so that issues like this can be caught
before release.  Without a maintainer, it should probably be demoted
to contrib itself.

Well, git on kernel.org (and many other places) critically depends on rpms being available.

	-hpa