Re: [ANNOUNCE/RFC] Really Fair Scheduler

Hi,

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > Did you even try to understand what I wrote? I didn't say that it's a
> > "common problem", it's a conceptual problem. The rounding has been
> > improved lately, so it's not as easy to trigger with some simple busy
> > loops.
>
> As i mentioned it in my first reply to you i really welcome your changes
> and your interest in the Linux scheduler, but i'm still somewhat
> surprised why you focus on rounding so much (and why you attack CFS's
> math implementation so vehemently and IMO so unfairly) - and we had this
> discussion before in the "CFS review" thread that you started.

The rounding is insofar a problem as it makes it very difficult to produce
a correct mathematical model of CFS, which can be used to verify the
working of code.
With the recent rounding changes they have indeed little effect in the
short term, especially as the error is distributed equally to the task, so
every task gets relatively the same time, the error still exists
nonetheless and adds up over time (although with the rounding changes it
doesn't grow into one direction anymore). The problem is now the limiting,
which you can't remove as long as the error exists. Part of this problem
is that CFS doesn't really maintain a balanced sum of the available
runtime, i.e. the sum of all updated wait_runtime values of all active
tasks should be zero. This means under complex loads it's possible to hit
the wait_runtime limits and the overflow/underflow time is lost in the
calculation and this value can be easily in the millisecond range.
To be honest I have no idea how real this problem in the praxis is right
now, quite possibly people will only see it as a small glitch and in most
cases they won't even notice. Previously it had been rather easy to
trigger these problems due to the rounding problems. The main problem for
me here is now that with any substantial change in CFS I'm running risk of
making this worse and noticable again somehow. For example CFS relies on
the 64bit math to have enough resolution so that the errors aren't
noticable.
That's why I needed a mathematical model I can work with and with it for
example I can easily downscale the math to 32bit and I know exactly the
limits within it will work correctly.

> Your math is fairly simple (and that is _good_, just like CFS's existing
> math is simple),

I really wouldn't call CFS's existing math simple, the basic ideas are
indeed simple, but that the math of the actual implementation is quite a
bit more complex.

> it can be summed up in essence as (without complicating
> it with nice-level weighting, for easy understandability):
>
> " use the already existing p->sum_exec_runtime 'task runtime' metric
>   that CFS maintains, and use that as the key into the rb-tree that
>   selects tasks that should be run next. To handle sleeping tasks: keep
>   a per-rq sum of all runnable task's ->sum_exec_runtime values and
>   start newly woken tasks at the average rq->sum/nr_running value. "
>
> Now your patch does not actually do it that way in a clearly discernible
> manner because lots of changes are intermixed into one big patch.

Well, it's part of the math, but I wouldn't call it the "essence" of the
_math_, as it leaves many questions unanswered, the essence of the math
mainly involves how the problems are solved created by the weighting.

If you want to describe the basic logical differences, you can do it a
little simpler: CFS maintains the runtime of a task relative to a global
clock, while in my model every task has its own clock and an approximated
average is used to initialize the clock of new tasks.

> ( please correct me if i got your math wrong. Your patch does not add
>   any comments at all to the new code and this slowed down my review
>   and analysis of your patch quite considerably. Lack of comments makes
>   it harder to see the purpose and makes it harder to notice the
>   benefits/tradeoffs involved in each change. )

I hope you did notice that I explained in the announcement in quite detail
what the code does.

> To sum up: the math in your patch _could_ be implemented as a much
> smaller add-on to the already existing variables maintained by CFS, but
> you chose to do lots of changes, variable-renames and removals at once
> and posted them as one big change.

I didn't rename that much and there are only a few that could be reused,
for most part I indeed removed quite a bit and the rest really has a
different meaning.

>  _Please_, separate things
> out so that they can be reviewed one by one.

That's not really the problem, but _please_ someone explain to me the
features you want to see preserved. I don't want to be left at guessing
what they're intendend to do and blindly implement something which should
do something similiar.
Thanks.

bye, Roman