Re: [ANNOUNCE/RFC] Really Simple Really Fair Scheduler

* Tong Li <[email protected]> wrote:

> I like this patch since it's really simple. CFS does provide a nice
> infrastructure to enable new algorithmic changes/extensions. My only
> concern was the O(log N) complexity under heavy load, but I'm willing
> to agree that it's OK in the common case. [...]

yeah. Note that just in case i wasnt clear enough: my patch attempts to
be an adoption of the core fairness math algorithm Roman suggested - so
it is not my idea and i dont want to take credit for it. (if it were to
go upstream it would of course carry a prominent "fairness math
rewritten by Roman Zippel" credit.)

about O(log N) complexity: the "timeline" nature of the CFS rbtree
(which rbtree Roman's patch preserves) guarantees a certain good level
of cache locality. We generally insert tasks at the "right side" of the
tree and remove them from the "left side" of the tree. (not always of
course, but for most workloads) So in practice, on a reasonable CPU,
there's no difference to the cachemiss patterns of pure O(1) algorithms.
And in terms of cycle overhead, lets consider something really extreme:
_one million runnable tasks on a single CPU_ (which is clearly silly and
unrealistic), which has a worst-case rbtree depth of ~31. A modern CPU
can walk a 31-deep binary tree in the neighborhood of 100 cycles
(cached). That makes it comparable to the O(1) scheduler's reliance on
the BSF instruction on x86 (which instruction costs a few dozen cycles
last i remember). In practice O(log(N)) algorithms are really equivalent
to O(1) algorithms. The big thing about the "O(1) scheduler" was that
the scheduler it replaced was O(N). Now an O(N) algorithm _does_ hurt.

No doubt, people _will_ play with CFS and will try to implement its
timeline data structure using O(1) algorithms (or improved tree
algorithms). It's doable and it will certainly be interesting to see the
results of such experiments. The rbtree was simply the most natural
choice of an already existing, lightweight in-kernel tree data
structure. [ It's also used by the MM so continued sanity and
performance of that code is guaranteed by the MM hackers ;-) ]

> [...] Some comments on the code:

> >+	key = se->exec_runtime;
> >
> >	se->fair_key = key;
> >}
>
> Should we use the weighted fair clock exec_runtime as the key? This
> way tasks with larger weights will have their keys incremented more
> slowly and thus be given more CPU time. This is what other
> virtual-clock based fair scheduling algorithms commonly do.

yep. The code i posted treats all tasks as nice-0. I suspect by adding a
calc_weighted() transformation to the key calculation above we'd get
most of the nice level support. (but i havent tried that yet - i was
mainly interested in a simple expression of Roman's ideas)

> >+	se->exec_runtime = avg_exec_runtime(cfs_rq);
> >	__enqueue_entity(cfs_rq, se);
> >}
>
> What's the intuition behind avg_exec_runtime? I thought the original
> CFS approach, i.e., setting a newly arriving task's key to be the
> current fair clock, adjusted by wait_runtime, was good. It matches
> other fair queuing algorithms and thus has provably good properties.

it's i think what Roman's algorithm does, and i wanted to implement that
and only that, to be able to review the effects of a much simpler, yet
behaviorally equivalent patch. Perhaps Roman can shed some light on what
the thinking behind that average is.

	Ingo