Re: intel-rng on modern hardware

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Shane wrote:
>> Just wondering if there is a newer version of intel-rng out
>> of tree or whether modern Intel chipsets have a usable RNG. I haven't been
>> able to get intel-rng loading (no such
>> device) on anything from the p965, p975 or p35 chipsets.
>
> No modern ICH chipset has an RNG, AFAIK.

No ICH ever had one.

The i810 era Intel RNG is in the FWH (the firmware hub, aka BIOS FLASH
chip).  You can have it anywhere someone uses an original Intel 82802AB or
82802AC FWH, no matter the chipset (the FWH is a LPC device).

But you have to be lucky enough to get a Intel FWH, and one that has the RNG
inside working.  I doubt Intel is producing them anymore, but you could ask
them.  The last board I know of that had those *if you were lucky* was the
D875PBZ.

  Henrique Holschuh