Re: [ANNOUNCE/RFC] Really Fair Scheduler

Roman Zippel wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:

Maybe I should explain for everyone else (especially after seeing some of the comments on kerneltrap), why I reacted somewhat irritated on what looks like such an innocent mail. The problem is without the necessary background one can't know how wrong such statements as this are, the level of confidence is amazing though:

Peter's work fully solves the rounding corner-cases you described as:

I'd expect Ingo to know better, but the more he refuses to answer my questions, the more I doubt it, at least than it comes to the math part.

The "math part" is important if you're doing a thesis defense, but demonstrating better behavior under some realistic load would probably be a better starting point. Maybe Ingo missed something in your math, and maybe he just didn't find a benefit.

The ck and sd schedulers developed over a long time of public use and redefinition of goals. The cfs developed faster, but still had months of testing and the benefit of rt experience. Your scheduler is more of a virgin birth, no slow public discussion before, no time yet for people to run it under real loads, you're seeing first impressions.

You dropped this on the world two days before a major US holiday, at the end of the summer when those of us not on vacation may be covering for those who are, did you expect Ingo to drop his regular work to look at your stuff? And do you think there are many people who can look at your math, and look at your code, and then have any clue how well it works in practice? I bet there aren't ten people in the world who would even claim to do that, and half of them are kidding themselves.

So give people a few weeks to see if the rounding errors you eliminated mean anything in practice. Faster context is nice, but it's not something most people count as their major problem. I did a *lot* of cfs vs. sd testing, not just all the glitch1 tests I posted here, lots of stuff I just send to Ingo, and lots of tests like IPCbench and NNTP server loading showed nothing. (That's good, it means cfs isn't worse than the old scheduler for those loads.) I played with the tuning, I even diddled the code a bit, without finding meaningful improvement, so your possibly better math may not change the overall behavior much.

I will wait until I post actual test results before I say any more.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>