Re: the Linux kernel, testsuites, and maybe *you*

On 9/1/07, Robin Getz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri 31 Aug 2007 17:22, Mike Frysinger pondered:
> > is there any sort of standard for testing and integration into
> > mainline ?  in the Blackfin world, we've been developing little
> > external kernel modules and adding them to our own testsuite, but
> > often times these things are not Blackfin specific.  case in point,
> > we're integrating a string testsuite to make sure all of the fun str*
> > and mem* functions are sane and operate as they expected, but rather
> > than having just Blackfin benefit here, i'd like to see this pushed
> > upstream ...
>
> I know there have been some discussions at past OLS about some testing that
> Martin was working on.
>
> http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2006/view_abstract.php?content_key=13
>
> But I think this was more functional tests, less unit tests that what you are
> talking/asking about.
>
> http://test.kernel.org/functional/index.html
>
> Also - If I remember - most of the existing tests were for a self hosted
> environment - and might not be well suited to embedded (like Blackfin) which
> requires cross compile, and pretty thin runtime environment (uClibc +
> busybox's msh as shell).

i flipped through the autotest code a bit but i dont think this can do
what i'm looking for.  it appears to be a mix of LTP provides and what
we have for our Blackfin test infrastructure -- iow, all userspace
stuff and no real way of exercising kernel internals.
-mike