Re: [ckrm-tech] Regression in 2.6.23-rc2-mm2, mounting cpusets causes a hang

On 8/15/07, Andrew Morton <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't recall what specifically went wrong when we were using select
> in there, but it was pretty ugly.
>
> We're hitting more and more problems with this "select is
> broken"-versus-"depends-on user inferface sucks" problem.

How about if it was an error to have a "depends" and a "select" for
the same config option? That would simplify the config graph - maybe
it would avoid the problems that you'd seen before?

Alternatively, for options that aren't user-selectable, but are only
triggered by the user selecting a component that requires them (e.g.
selecting the memory controller requires containers) maybe they should
be taken out of Kconfig and just made into Makefile-derived variables?

Paul