Re: hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

Eric wrote:

John Sigler wrote:

According to my supplier, herre is the data sheet for the DOMs:
http://www.pqimemory.com/documents/domdata.pdf

PIO mode 2 is mentioned. Even DMA seems to be supported.
Or am I mistaken?

Page 3 states max interface burst speed is 8.3MB/s in PIO2.  I
wouldn't assume it supports DMA

The reason I suspected DMA support is because I noticed the description of DMACK- (DMA acknowledge) and DMARQ (DMA request).

Based on the quoted media transfer rates (1.2MB/s write and 4.1MB/s
read), DMA would buy you a transfer checksum but probably not much
performance, unless your embedded application is CPU bound.

What I fear is that programmed I/O will tie up the CPU and add non-deterministic latency to my real-time apps.

Suppose that an app is waiting for an acknowledgement from a PCI device when the OS suddenly decides it is time to write 4 KB to disk. Typical write rate is quoted as 1.2 MB/s i.e. the write would require at least 3.4 ms to complete.

My fear is that the entire transfer is done in a non-preemptible critical section. In other words, my real-time app would be delayed several milliseconds, which is unacceptable.

Am I mistaken?

Regards.