Re: Distributed storage.

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 09:04:51AM +0400, Manu Abraham ([email protected]) wrote:
> On 7/31/07, Evgeniy Polyakov <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > TODO list currently includes following main items:
> >     * redundancy algorithm (drop me a request of your own, but it is highly
> >         unlikley that Reed-Solomon based will ever be used - it is too slow
> >         for distributed RAID, I consider WEAVER codes)
>

> LDPC codes[1][2] have been replacing Turbo code[3] with regards to
> communication links and we have been seeing that transition. (maybe
> helpful, came to mind seeing the mention of Turbo code) Don't know how
> weaver compares to LDPC, though found some comparisons [4][5] But
> looking at fault tolerance figures, i guess Weaver is much better.
>
> [1] http://www.ldpc-codes.com/
> [2] http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1240497
> [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_code
> [4] http://domino.research.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/papers/BD559022A190D41C85257212006CEC11/$File/rj10391.pdf
> [5] http://hplabs.hp.com/personal/Jay_Wylie/publications/wylie_dsn2007.pdf

I've studied and implemented LDPC encoder/decoder (hard decoding belief
propagation algo only though) in userspace and found that any such
probabilistic codes generally are not suitable for redundant or
distributed data storages, because of its per-bit nature and probabilistic
error recovery.
Interested reader can find similar to Dr. Plank's iteractive decoding
presentation and some of my analysis about codes and all sources at
project homepage and in blog:

http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/old/?section=projects&item=ldpc

So I consider weaver codes, as a superior decision for distributed
storages.

--
	Evgeniy Polyakov