Re: oom-killer with 27G free swap and overcommit_memory=2

Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
I am using Linux 2.6.16.46-0.12-smp (SUSE 10 SP1 stock kernel).
I do intend to bother SUSE, but I am hoping some kind kernel savant
can help me interpret these log messages and/or give me some
suggestions for how to proceed.

My system is a SunFire x4100 (x86_64) with 16G of RAM and 32G of swap
in a single partition.  I have an application which consumes a lot of
memory, and after a few hours the oom-killer kills it.

This would not be surprising, except a) the machine still has 27G of
free swap at the time; and b) it happens even when I set
vm.overcommit_memory=2 (with overcommit_ratio=50).  It is
time-consuming to reproduce, but consistent.

Below is the first batch of messages from the oom-killer.  In this
case, overcommit_memory was set to 2, and the application
received no failures from malloc() or new.

9-10 more such batches appear in the log in rapid succession before
I get the "Kill process XXXX ... Killed process XXXX" pair of messages.

Here are my questions.  I realize these log messages may be insufficient
to answer them, and I am ready to provide more information upon
request.  (Unfortunately I cannot provide the application itself.  But
I can perform tests and provide logs.)

1) Does this behavior definitely indicate a kernel bug?  If not, what
could my application possibly be doing to cause it?

2) Is there any sysctl setting that might "avoid" this problem?  Or a
way to change my application to avoid it?

3) Should I attempt to reproduce this problem on the stock kernel.org
kernel?

Hi,

Yeah it doesn't seem like the right behaviour. Your app isn't allocating
mlocked memory, is it? What is the value of your /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
sysctl? (increasing it may help).

I'll take a look at the SLES kernel and see whether we can do better
there. Thanks.

Nick

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.