Re: [patch v2 1/1] md: Software Raid autodetect dev list not array

On Aug 26, 2007, at 08:20:45, Michael Evans wrote:
Also, I forgot to mention, the reason I added the counters was mostly for debugging. However they're also as useful in the same way that listing the partitions when a new disk is added can be (in fact this augments that and the existing messages the autodetect routines provide).

As for using autodetect or not... the only way to skip it seems to be compiling md's raid support as a module. I checked 2.6.22's menuconfig and there's no way for me to explicitly turn it on or off at compile time. I also feel that forcing the addition of a boot parameter to de-activate a broken and deprecated system you aren't even aware you are getting is somehow wrong. So if you have over 128 devices for it to scan, as I do on one of my PCs, then it can bring up
an array in degraded mode.  ... crud.

Well, you could just change the MSDOS disk label to use a different "Partition Type" for your raid partitions. Just pick the standard "Linux" type and you will get exactly the same behavior that everybody who doesn't use MSDOS partition tables gets.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett