Re: RFC: issues concerning the next NAPI interface

David Miller wrote:
From: James Chapman <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 18:16:45 +0100

Does hardware interrupt mitigation really interact well with NAPI?

It interacts quite excellently.

If NAPI disables interrupts and keeps them disabled while there are more packets arriving or more transmits being completed, why do hardware interrupt mitigation / coalescing features of the network silicon help?

There was a long saga about this with tg3 and huge SGI numa
systems with large costs for interrupt processing, and the
fix was to do a minimal amount of interrupt mitigation and
this basically cleared up all the problems.

Someone should reference that thread _now_ before this discussion goes
too far and we repeat a lot of information and people like myself have
to stay up all night correcting the misinformation and
misunderstandings that are basically guarenteed for this topic :)

I hope I'm not spreading misinformation. :) The original poster was observing NAPI going in/out of polled mode because the CPU is fast enough to process all work per poll. I've seen the same and I'm suggesting that the NAPI driver keeps itself in polled mode for N polls or M jiffies after it sees workdone=0. This has always worked for me in packet forwarding scenarios to maximize packets/sec and minimize latency. I'm considering putting a patch together to add this as another tuning knob, hence I'm keen to understand what I'm missing. :)

--
James Chapman
Katalix Systems Ltd