Re: [patch 2/2] Sort module list by pointer address to get coherent sleepable seq_file iterators

* Rusty Russell ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 11:45 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > * Rusty Russell ([email protected]) wrote:

> > > You've reduced, but not eliminated, the problem.  A new module inserted
> > > is quite likely to reuse the same address.
> > >

> > Hi Rusty,
> >
> > Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I think it would not be a problem:
> >
> > - seq_read() makes sure that a buffer large enough is available so that
> >   m_show() can fully extract and print the information relative to 1
> >   module.
> > - m_start() and m_stop() takes the module_mutex, therefore within one
> >   seq_read(), once m_start has returned, the struct module * that we
> >   have is valid and will be consistent during the whole seq_read
> >   operation.
> > - If a module is removed, and then a different one is inserted at the
> >   same address, while we are between two seq_reads for this given struct
> >   module address, the seq_reads will copy to user-space the information
> >   that is still in the buffer for the _first_ struct module encountered,
> >   not the new one.
> > - After that, iteration will continue to the new struct module address,
> >   effectively skipping the newly inserted module.
>
> Indeed, I thought that this was a general problem: the seq_list code was
> never intended to work on modifiable lists unless you get them in one
> big read.
>
> If we accept this problem, what do we do about all the other users?

Hum, I guess it would be best for them to switch to the proposed seq
sorted list too. I think that having one example (module.c) that shows
well how this works will be an incentive for other developers to port
their seq_file code to the sorted list (I am thinking, among others,
about kallsyms).

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers