Re: [Tech-board-discuss] Re: Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 17:22 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> <removed [email protected] as its subscriber only>
>
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 10:22:59AM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
>  > The elections for five of the ten members of the Linux Foundation
>  > Technical Advisory Board[TAB] are held every year, currently the
>  > election will be at the 2007 Kernel Summit in a BOF session.
>  >
>  > Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination
>  > to:
>  >
>  > [email protected]
>  >
>  > Only people invited to the kernel summit will be there in person (and
>  > therefore able to vote), but if you cannot attend, your nomination email
>  > will be read out before the voting begins.
>  >
>  > We currently have Three nominees:
>  >
>  > Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]>
>  > Greg Kroah Hartman <[email protected]>
>  > Christoph Lameter <[email protected]>
>  >
>  > The deadline for receiving nominations is up until the BOF where the
>  > election is held (on the evening of either the 5th or 6th of September.
>  > Although, please remember if you're not going to be present that things
>  > go wrong with both networks and mailing lists, so get your nomination in
>  > early).
>
> I have a reservation about voting for any of the above.
> Normally during any process involving votes, there exists some sort
> of "why you should vote for me" type statement.  Does such a thing
> exist for this process ?
>
> Not that I've anything against any of the above candidates, but this
> should probably be more than just a popularity contest.

Yes ... well, there was a need to get away from the cronyism of OSDL in
the past.  The problem was to come up with a mechanism that did away
with this.  The elected one was about the best we could find, but if
you've an alternative suggestion, by all means let's hear it.

James