Re: Problems with IDE on linux 2.6.22.X

On 08/22/2007 03:39 AM, José Luis Patiño Andrés wrote:

You have a SATA harddrive (Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 100GB SATA/2.5") and an
IDE (also known as PATA) DVD drive (LG GMA-4082N). That is, your disk
should be driven by the:

"Intel ESB, ICH, PIIX3, PIIX4 PATA/SATA support"

under the "Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers" menu,
and it seems this driver should also take care of your DVD. Not sure from
your report what you are using -- first try with only that driver, and
nothing from the old "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support" menu selected.

In that situation, your harddrive works, but your DVD does not?

Okay, now it's tested as you said. In fact, in this way with only the SATA drivers activated and ATA/ATAPI support completely unselected, my HDD works but my DVD not.

Okay. Jeff, Alan -- 2.6.20.15 apparently working. A few weeks ago there was another report of a DVD drive failing detection on pata_amd (my CD and DVD drives work fine on pata_amd). Did some ATAPI timeouts change or something?

He's using:

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller IDE (rev 02) (prog-if 80 [Master])

And so...

If so, this should be fixed in the driver, but to get things working I
believe you may try with both the above driver for your harddisk and the
old IDE driver for the DVD:

<*>   Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
<*>     Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support (NEW)
[*]     PCI IDE chipset support
[*]     Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
<*>       Intel PIIXn chipsets support

Checked.

(do not select IDE/ATA-2 disk support)

Unselected.

Now, I have this kernel panic:
#VFS: cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block (0,0)
#Please, append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available #partitions:
#1600 4194302 hdc driver: ide-cdrom

Okay, makes sense, seems the new driver simply can't grab the SATA part anymore when the old driver already's got the IDE part -- I wasn't sure about that (not a SATA user myself -- just noticed your report due to noticing that previous one due to pata_amd...).

The old SATA driver available from the IDE menu also does not support your chip, so I don't believe there are any workarounds -- you'll need the issue fixed.

Rene.