Re: [RFC 2/9] Use NOMEMALLOC reclaim to allow reclaim if PF_MEMALLOC is set

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 14:17 -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>
> > > Its not that different.
> >
> > Yes it is, disk based completion does not require memory, network based
> > completion requires unbounded memory.
>
> Disk based completion only require no memory if its not on a stack of
> other devices and if the interrupt handles is appropriately shaped. If
> there are multile levels below or there is some sort of complex
> completion handling then this also may require memory.

I'm not aware of such a scenario - but it could well be. Still if it
would it would take a _bounded_ amount of memory per page.

Network would still differ in that it requires an _unbounded_ amount of
packets to receive and process in order to receive that completion.