Re: tracking MAINTAINERS versus tracking SUBSYSTEMS

On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 13:35 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   $ show_subsystem drivers/bluetooth/bpa10x.c
>   BLUETOOTH

"what's a subsystem"?
I'm not sure there is an appropriate definition.
If there is an appropriate definition, why
should anyone care what subsystem a particular
file is in?

> 1) it reduces the MAINTAINERS file back to what it should be in the
> first place -- a simple reference list of each kernel subsystem, and
> who's responsible for it, so that constant reshuffling of files or
> directories in a particular subsystem doesn't require constant
> updating of the MAINTAINERS file.

I'd still be happy if MAINTAINERS went away.
I'm not sure what good it does other than have
a link to mailing lists that otherwise might not
be CC'd on patches.

> thoughts?

For user submission of bug reports, perhaps it'd be
more useful to have a submitkernelbugreport script
and a network enabled "dispatch bug report" to
appropriate maintainers service.

Try something out and see what happens.

Good luck.  Joe