Re: Marvell 88E8056 gigabit ethernet controller

On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 04:45:26AM -0700, Kevin E wrote:

> --- Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > No Stephen, look again, he says that moving the
> > video card into the broken
> > system does not change anything.
>
> Correct, I've used three different video cards in the
> broken machine.  I've used an old PCI vid card, the
> PCI-X vid card from the working machine, and now PCI-X
> card I just bought yesterday (nvidia based).  None
> have affected whether the Marvell chipset works or
> not.
>
> Also, the broken machine is a server so I don't start
> X on it.  It just sits in console mode all the time.
> The CPU (Core2 E4400) used to be in the working
> machine, then upgraded it to the Q6600 and put the old
> E4400 in the new MB that became the broken machine.
> Memory was brand new out of the package.  So I've used
> the E4400 in a MB that worked fine.
>

> > I don't understand why the working one is on PCI bus
> > 3 while the other
> > is on PCI bus 4. It's just as if the chip embedded a
> > PCI bridge. Maybe
> > those chips are just cheaper dual-channel
> > controllers with one faulty
> > controller disabled. It would also explain why the
> > PCI ID is different.
>
> I've attached the "lspci -vvv" output for the two
> machines, if it doesn't come through just let me know
> how I can get it to you.

OK, in this trace, both controllers are on the same bus. The broken
one has 'Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting' the other
does not have, and the bridge to this bus has two more capabilities :
'Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel' and 'Capabilities: [180] Unknown (5)'.

I don't know whether it can jutify a different behaviour. Also, maybe this
is caused by a minuscule difference in the BIOS setup ?

Regards,
Willy