Re: Self healing in linux ?

sk malik wrote:
Solaris 10 people are talkin a lot about the
predictive self healing thing.

Do we have something similar planned/going on for
linux. Or there is no use of this tecnology ;)

Doing this in-kernel would violate the separation of policy and mechanism. There's nothing wrong with providing the hooks necessary for userspace to do this, but it's generally userspace's responsibility to decide what should be done when a possible problem is detected. I'm aware of software that does predictive migration with mdadm when smartd detects a problem. Getting this into users' hands is a distro/vendor problem, not a kernel development problem.

That said, if you can think of some additional hooks that would really be beneficial to userspace monitoring tools, by all means send in patches.

	-- Chris