Storing Maintainers info around the kernel tree

Merging a couple related threads here:

On Aug 16, 2007, at 07:57:23, Rene Herman wrote:
On 08/16/2007 01:26 PM, Salikh Zakirov wrote:
Rene Herman wrote:
Perhaps that immediately suggests an implementation to someone already familiar with git internals?
perhaps http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/ gitattributes.html and http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/ docs/git-check-attr.html can help you?

No, thanks, saw them, but .gitattributes is in fact in the same category as .gitignore, which would _be_ a property.

If you do this stuff in files scattered around the tree, updating and moving stuff becomes a pain -- the tool would need to go edit files.